Advanced Powerboat Course
Aim of the course
The aim of this course is to improve boat all weather handling and to develop the skills required to undertake long distance passages by day and night in bad weather and unfamiliar waters. Special attention is paid to high-speed navigation at night.
|Pre-course experience||Candidates should be competent to the standard of Intermediate Powerboat|
|Assumed knowledge||Candidates should have a thorough knowledge of navigationa and chart work to the level of Coastal/Yachtmaster shore based certificate and must have a first aid certificate.|
|Minimum duration||2 days|
|Ability after the course||To be able to drive a planing powerboat safely by day and night in tidal coastal waters with which the candidate may be familiar.|
Why do the course?
People mainly take the Advanced Powerboat Course for commercial reasons or to become an Advanced Powerboat Instructor.
Two Days, one night
Assumed knowledge and Qualifications
- Powerboat up to Intermediate Standard
- Though Knowledge of Navigation and Chart Work up to Coastal Skipper Standard
- VHF SRC Operators Certificate.
- Over 18
What will I learn?
- Use of a plotting instrument knowledge of plotting a course
- True and magnetic bearings
- Bearing and distance
- Chart symbols
- Tidal diamonds and tidal streams
- Use of pilot books
- Work out tidal heights for standard ports
- Interpret Lateral, Cardinal Buoyage & Special Buoyage Systems (IALA)
- Implement IRPCS concentrating on rules, 5,7,8,9,13-17,23
To gain your Advanced Powerboat Certificate.
People often then go on to gain their Advanced Powerboat Exam which you can commercially endorsed and then use for commercial use either.
- Paying Customers
- Industry E.g. Oil, Wind farm or Seismic support vessels to name a few.
|Number of persons||1 person||2 persons||3 persons|
|Cost per person||£390||£325||£234|
For those looking to become involved on a commercial skipper the Advanced can also be commercially endorsed so you can carry fare paying passengers.