The SI is widely known as the cornerstone to the RYA scheme.
The RYA TE with multipool Senior Instructors tend to run more efficiently
To become an SI at least two years intermittent or one-year full time instructing since qualifying as an RYA Dinghy or Multihull Instructor be a good organiser and can manage a team.
To transfer those skills to an SI role we look at the following aspects:
Role of a Senior Instructor
- Confident and experienced Instructor
Pre course requirements
- Minimum age18
- Required certificates
- Valid RYA Instructor certificate in the discipline for which you wish to train as an SI
- First aid certificate
- RYA Safety Boat Certificate
- RYA Safe and Fun certificate and pre-course work
- RYA membership
- Candidates must first be an RYA Dinghy Instructor and must fulfil the following criteria prior to the SI course:
- At least two years intermittent or one-year full time instructing since qualifying as an RYA Dinghy or Multihull Instructor (for Dinghy Senior Instructors) or as an RYA Keelboat Instructor (for Keelboat Senior Instructors).
- Sailing ability to at least the standard of RYA Instructor (an assessment may be necessary if sailing ability cannot be adequately demonstrated during the training course)
- Signed recommendation from the Principal of an RYA Recognised Training Centre.
- Completion of the Senior Instructor Workbook and any preparation work sent out by the Coaches prior to the course starting.
- Courses are run on a regional basis with a minimum of six students.
- The course may take the form of two weekends (four whole days) and include some material covered prior to the course.
- The assessment will be continuous and will be made by at least two Coach/Assessors.
After the successful outcome of the course you will be qualified to teach
- Organise and manage RYA National Sailing Scheme and Youth Sailing Scheme sailing courses.
- Organise and control group sailing tuition of all ages and abilities.
- Supervising, direction and assisting a team of Instructors and Assistant Instructors.
- Five years from date of issue if supported by a valid first aid certificate. Little or no logged experience may require a re-assessment.
- RYA membership
- G14 National Dinghy Coaching Handbook. (Must Have)
- RYA Optimist Coaching Handbook (Recommended)
- RYA Beginner Hand Book (Recommended)
- RYA Advanced Handbook (Must Have)
- RYA Wet Notes (Recommended)
- National Sailing Logbook (Must Have)
- SI work book Dinghy
- SI workbook Keelboat